Sebastiao is a 7 year old explorer of the Ecuadorian rain forest.
Follow his adventures through this field journal.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Catepillars


This is a picture of clear-winged butterfly caterpillars. Sometimes the butterflies are yellow. Some of these are caterpillars that have just hatched. The little bits that are in my hand are poop from the caterpillars. I found them in the garden at a neighbors house.
Field Notes:
For More information on Clear- winged butterflies look here.

We have not been able to positivly identify this caterpillar as that of the clear-winged butterfly. The boys around here have named it as such. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Those are really cool, Tiao! I love your blog and am so excited to keep up with your adventures this way. Happy exploring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those worms are kind of pretty. I have thousands of worms at my house right now but they are hairy and have horns on their backs. I've been told that they will hatch into moths, but right now I just think they are plain ugly -- especially when they are crawling on everything and they leave this gooey mess behind them, along with the poop like yours. Keep up the blog, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be fun to keep on inside and feed it the leaves of the plant that you found it on outside. It will become a chrysalis. When it comes out, you will know which type of butterfly it is.

    ReplyDelete